Sunday, March 22, 2009

Need to Choose a Student at Random? Try this!


I found this amazing web 2.0 tool called "The Hat".
Here's the information from the website:

"I'm first!"
"No I'm first!"
"No I called it!"
"Well I'm second!"
"OK then Dusty is last because he's youngest!"
"That's not fair, I'm always last!"
Sound familiar? If you are a parent of two or more children, the answer is most likely a resounding "Yes!". Never fear, help is here!

The Hat is a simple but handy little utility that offers a fun and easy way to automatically determine a random order from a list of any amount of names. You can even use it to pick individual names for raffle and sweepstakes winners, etc. or pick pairs of names for deciding random partnerships, complete with cool animation and sound effects.

Features at a Glance
Simple, easy-to-use interface.
Add any amount of names you wish.
Import names from a text file.
Export names to a text file for later use.
Optional special effects while shuffling names.
Pick individual names one at a time or pairs of names.
Cool animation. Actually shows names coming out of a hat when picking individual names or pairs.
Fairly settle arguments between kids about "who goes first", etc.
Print or save results to a file for future reference.
Optionally saves name list between sessions.
Absolutely free!

Let me know if you try this in class. I'd love to hear about it in use.

No comments: